Saturday, June 25, 2016

The Climb to Batu Caves

2 June 2016. Malaysia.


It was a mere one and a half hour away from Kuala Lumpur, and it was the one attraction next to the Petronas Towers that I wanted to see, so I gave it a go. I was thinking that Zac would climb the 272 steps to the cave's entrance on his own, as he once did with the Giant Buddha in Hong Kong. I was right. 

Our guide stopped by a garland stall for us to buy garlands that we were to offer the Hindu priest. He instructed us to silently utter our wish every step to the top, that is, 272 times. I was surprised to see a cow just a few meters from the stall, like it was supposed to be there. The guide told us that cows share space with the people and the buildings in the province of Selangor. I think it may have been due to lack of grazing fields.

The 140-feet statue of Lord Murugan, said to be the tallest Lord Murugan statue in the world, greeted us. I held on to my garland when we started the climb, whispering my wish on each step. Halfway, I was caught by surprise when a monkey grabbed the plastic my garland was in, thinking it to be food. Zac was distraught. He kept saying the monkey got 'mom's vegetables' and he wanted me to get it back from the monkey. That was out of the question, of course. I was scared of the monkeys, to be honest. I just assured Zac that we would get me another garland when we headed back to the city. I was concerned, however, with my wish. 

I had nothing to offer the Hindu priest when we reached the cave. I went on and admired instead the intricate and colorful design of the Hindu temples inside the largest and most popular cavern of Batu Caves, the Cathedral Cave.


Back down, I tried to interest Zac with the pigeons on the pavement, but he was more interested with bubbles.


Until our next journey,

-jrlee