Thursday, July 9, 2015

Etcetera Negros Occidental

1-3 June 2015. Negros Occidental.

Punta Taytay


What used to be a favorite hang-out for teenagers whiling the time away with a bottle of liquor is now a favorite destination for locals and visitors alike to while away the time with fresh catch from the sea, cooked to their own liking. I thought I would give summer one last hurrah when I decided to visit Punta Taytay for an afternoon dip, but I only saw miles and miles of sea with fishing boats. There's a Viewing Deck similar to Manila's dampa but the charm of this place is that you can witness firsthand how the fishermen catch your food. 



New Government Center


Before proceeding to the city's pala-pala where I later on sampled the best seafood dishes Bacolod City had to offer, I wasted the remaining hours before dinner at the New Government Center. It was a grand and impressive building all decked in white thereby earning it the moniker, The White House. There are food stalls and stone benches in the area so it felt more like a park rather than a government center, especially when I saw joggers having a run within the compound.



The Capitol Grounds and Lagoon were always within sight but for some reason I just whisked by them. I had my first taste of chicken inasal in Bacolod City at Chicken Deli, imagine that, and while I was enjoying the dish, I had a good view of the site. Located along Lacson Street, this is where the Kilometer Zero marker is located.

In front of SM Bacolod City is the Pope John Paul II Tower, built to commemorate the event when the Pope visited Bacolod City. At the entrance stands the statue of Pope John Paul II, which measures eight feet and made of synthetic bronze and fiberglass.


Bacolod Public Plaza


Located across San Sebastian Cathedral, this public plaza was constructed in 1927 and has since then been a place for recreation and other activities. I chanced upon local folks playing a serious game of chess that afternoon.


Cinco de Noviembre Memorial


Found in Silay City, it is said that the structure was where the drugstore was stood, which drugstore was where the Negrense revolutionaries secretly helped plan the successful revolution against the Spanish Colonial forces in November 5, 1898. Hence, the street was named Cinco De Noviembre. 

-jrlee