Friday, March 20, 2015

Sawasdee, Thailand.

26 February - 1 March 2015. Thailand.

If you live in a country where cab drivers charge you for more than the usual fare, where tourists spots have differing rates for foreigners and locals, where the entire road becomes a parking lot because traffic is at a stand still for hours on end, where the heat becomes unbearable at noon so you take refuge inside the mall, then Bangkok will not overwhelm you. The girls and I did our first time trip to Thailand entirely on our own which was why we got to experience everything about the country, including being thrown out of a cab mid-way in Bangkok because we utterly refused to agree to the driver's 400 baht rate for a 100 baht route.

Once you've got over that sketchy side of Bangkok, however, the city will awe you with its rich history, colorful culture, fierce loyalty, and deep faith. If I were asked to describe the city, or the country (although I've only seen Bangkok and Ayutthaya), with a word, it would be 'elaborate'. I noticed that in a corner in almost all, if not all, houses and establishments, an altar for their gods were put up, in designs so intricate you'd think 'simple' never existed in the country's dictionary. The structures on the road are likewise so elaborate; by themselves, they may be considered tourist spots.

 

 

 

When I read blogs about Bangkok, they always start with the city overwhelming you for some reason or another. Having experienced the city in its rawness, I understood the sentiments. When my cousin, weeks after we got back, proposed that we go back to Bangkok this year, I declined. I'll visit Bangkok because I have an unfinished business with its temples but not this soon; and when I go back, I'll be with my son and we'll explore the 'kiddie' side of the city.

 

-jrlee