Monday, August 22, 2011

Pagudpud: Old & New (The Southbound Tour

kapurpurawan rock formation

19 August 2011. Ilocos Norte.

For Php600.00/tour, I was once again whisked to the wonders south of Pagudpud as soon as Jas and I have had our breakfast and freshened up at Agua Seda. Kuya Reynante brought us first to the farthest attraction from Barangay Balaoi, Cape Bojeador Lighthouse in Burgos. It was my second time to be mystified by the mystique that surrounds lighthouses; it was Jas’s first.

Images of the lighthouse:

cape bojeador lighthouse

entrance to the lighthouse

rear

view from the lighthouse

view from the lighthouse

Next on Kuya Reynante’s list is the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation, located just a few minutes from the lighthouse. I was not able to visit this attraction the last time I backpacked Ilocos Region due to lack of time, so the excitement escalated as we were approaching the rock. As soon as I caught a glimpse of the rock’s head in its sheer whiteness, I was blown away. We were fortunate enough to be able to climb the rock and savor the rush of waves on the cliff. It’s an easy trek from the jump-off point to the rock formation. Cemented stairs lead to a short stretch of covered walk. A few minutes later, we were under the heat of the sun, but I didn’t mind because I was pretty excited to climb the rock and enjoy its whiteness up close. In the open, there were bonsai plants and rocks that looked like corals.

road leading to the rock formation

kapurpurawan rock formation

kapurpurawan rock formation

a view of the coast from the rock

Before calling it a day, we passed by the windmills of Bangui, Ilocos Norte. The fans of each windmill was moving that day, and I distinctly heard the whoosh of the fan of the mill that we sought shelter at. It was scary in a nice way.

bangui windmill 

lone boat along the shores of bangui

-jrlee