Sunday, July 17, 2011

Xi’an and its Walls (Archive)

xi'an wall 

2 October 2010. Xi’an.

Nestled among the comfortable, fluffy pillows of Days Inn City Center, terribly tired from that train ordeal, it was difficult to drag ourselves out of the bed and into the streets of Xi’an. Had I been in one of the Philippines’ 7,107 islands, I could have slept all day and extended my stay. I was in Xi’an, however, and I had a plane to catch in Guangzhou for my trip back to my country. An extended stay in China, even if only for a day, would instantly empty my pockets. So out of the bed and into the streets we went, scaling yet another Chinese Wall.

According to my limited readings, Xi’an is the capital of Shaanxi province. It was previously known as Chang’an before the Ming Dynasty.

xi'an wall

It was much, much easier to scale this wall. We even stopped in the middle of it for souvenirs and ice cream. It was, however, improbable for us to walk the wall in its entirety. We then walked all the way to another Xi’an attraction, the Bell Tower. According to my limited readings, the Bell Tower was built in 1384 during the early Ming Dynasty. It is a symbol of the city of Xi’an and one of the grandest of its kind in China. Unfortunately, we were not able to visit its sister, the Drum Tower.

Images of the city of Xi’an:

city of xi'an

city of xi'an

city of xi'an

bell tower

-jrlee

Technorati Tags: ,,