Sunday, May 29, 2011

Snorkeling In Apo Island

apo island

24 May 2011. Apo Island. Negros Oriental.

My flight on the 24th of May, my last day in Negros Oriental, was at 3.15 in the afternoon. As I always do whenever I travel, the night before my last day, all my bags are packed, and the hours before the flight will be spent on a relaxing tour of the place. When I was informed that the activity for my last day would be snorkeling in Apo Island, I begged off. The newly-weds, however, insisted that the itinerary was such that I would be able to catch my flight back to Manila. I gave in to their insistence. I was glad I did.

When visiting Negros Oriental, one must always include Apo Island in his itinerary. Situated just six kilometers from Dumaguete City, the island boasts of a marine sanctuary that is home to a wide variety of marine life, and the most wonderful corals you have ever seen. I was fortunate enough to have seen and swam with a giant turtle. I was not able to have pictures of the awesome marine sanctuary because my digital camera is not fit for underwater adventures. The beauty of the underwater world has strengthened my resolve to get myself an underwater case for my digital camera. By the way, the sands on the island are corals, and the rocks along the shore can be very slippery and sharp, so it is much better to have aqua shoes or diving boots.

Images of Apo Island:

apo island

coral sand, apo island

rock formation, apo island

By 12.30 in the mid afternoon, the snorkeling activity was over for the group which has to fly that afternoon to different parts of the country, and that group included me. As soon as we were brought to shore, a van brought us back to Dumaguete City. Before proceeding to the airport, my cousin, her friend, and I made a stop at Sans Rival Cakes and Pastries to pick up our orders of sans rival and silvanas as pasalubong. We ordered the night before for pick-up the following day. Apparently, sans rival and silvanas, being made from butter, have to be kept refrigerated, and they only have a lifespan of four hours when taken out of the freezer. From the bakeshop, it was off to the airport, Apo Island sand on my slippers and all. At around 4.45 in the afternoon, I was back to the stress and the city.

-jrlee